Childhood schizophrenia, being a mentalDisease, affects the brain system, affecting the emotional and cognitive (cognitive) spheres. For the disease there are psychotic symptoms: a disorder of thinking, inadequate emotional reactions, disorganized behavior, deterioration of social functioning, loss of will. Schizophrenia in children is one of the most common mental illnesses, affecting up to 1% of all children. Schizophrenia in childhood is marked by a manifestation of delirium,
Hallucinations. Children are concerned about visions, voices that are not perceived by loved ones and surrounding people.
For a long time the term "childhood schizophrenia"Was used to refer to various disorders that had nothing in common with each other, the exception was a chronic and severe manifestation of the symptoms of schizophrenia in early childhood. Children were referred to schizophrenics if they had borderline symptoms.
Childhood schizophrenia is differentiated from autism by the following symptoms:
- there are minor violations in the intellectual sphere;
- there are no serious violations of social interaction, as well as speech development;
- there are hallucinations and delirium;
- there are stages of relapse and remission.
At present, based on the criteria used to diagnose schizophrenia in adults, diagnose the disease in children.
Children's type of schizophrenia manifests itself following initial stages of the disease:
- The kid experiences problems that are related to the violation of sleep, study, concentration, and reluctance to communicate;
- the course of the disease is marked by incoherent speech;
- the child sees and hears things that are not visible or audible to others;
- The periods of improvement are shortly followed by severe relapses, which are marked by incoherent thinking and jumping from one thought to another without logical follow-up.
The pathological phases of the disease are marked by the children's confidence in possessing superhuman abilities, they constantly feel that they are being watched.
The pathological features of the disease manifest themselves in unpredictability and manifestation
, Inclination to
Causes of Child Schizophrenia
Researchers of this problem do not have a clearRepresentations of what causes childhood schizophrenia. All studies indicate that it develops the same way as schizophrenia in adults. Scientists are still puzzled about the development of early childhood schizophrenia and are inclined to believe that environmental factors and genetics are likely to play a significant role in the development of the disease.
There are the following possible risk factors at an early age:
- the presence of relatives suffering from schizophrenia;
- pregnancy at a late age; - stressful living conditions (emotional or physical violence, parental scandals, difficult divorce of parents, stressful situations);
- viral diseases in the womb;
- a future mother with a severe form of malnutrition during pregnancy.
Symptoms and signs of childhood schizophrenia
This disease develops gradually,Suddenness is not inherent in it. Patients have various disorders that precede the onset of pathopsychological symptoms. This disease provokes serious negative consequences in the overall development and achievement of the child in school. To establish the diagnosis, the symptoms of the disease should be noted continuously for six months. After their occurrence, the child has an inability to achieve the required level of results in the educational or personal sphere.
For the diagnosis of schizophrenia, at least two of the following signs should be noted within one month:
- Catatonia (immobility, stupor);
- disorganized behavior and speech;
- emotional depression;
- lack of will;
If there is a delusion or hallucinations, in which the child hears voices and has images, one of the symptoms for setting the diagnosis is enough.
Before the age of seven, violations often occurLogical thinking, but hallucinations and delusions are rare and they are difficult to diagnose. If they are noted, they have, in contrast to similar symptoms in adults, a less complex structure and include children's subjects. Sometimes it is difficult to draw a line between delusions and fantasies, which were caused by a child's play of imagination. It should be borne in mind that children do not feel and do not experience the discomfort of the disorganizing nature of psychotic symptoms and when they arise in the early stage of schizophrenia, children do not distinguish them from natural normal experiences.
So, childhood schizophrenia is noted in the following manifestations:
- nonsense, which is expressed in disordered thinking, as well as strong beliefs that worsen the interpretation of reality;
- hallucinations - perception disorders, whenThe child sees, hears, perceives something that in reality does not exist and is not present at the moment. The most common symptom observed in children is auditory hallucinations, which occur in 80% of cases in individuals who have reached 11 years of age.
60% of schizophrenic children report disordersThinking, visual hallucinations (auditory, command, dialogue, religious, commenting, pursuing, visual, tactile, somatic), delirium (transformations into animals, delirium of persecution, delirium of grandeur, delirium of relations, somatic nonsense, thinking disorder).
They note the accompanying pathological processes and symptoms characteristic of the disease: auditory disorders, depression, behavioral problems, suicidal tendencies.
Treatment of childhood schizophrenia
This disease needs help in the areas of psychiatry and at all possible levels of psychotherapy.
Forums on child schizophrenia target parentsPay attention to carefully selected personnel in inpatient care, since the experience of employees and their highly qualified training will help to help the child recover.
Treatment of childhood schizophrenia involvesAppointment of a psychotherapist medications only after correlating harm and benefit to a small patient. In most cases, the problem is solved psychotherapeutically, in some cases the most safe therapy is selected. Unfortunately, complete healing of children does not occur with such a disease, however, there are methods that allow to minimize the severity of symptoms, to minimize the likelihood of recurrence of relapses, to improve